Monday, October 20, 2008

Missed the point...


The Movie:
Yesterday Yuriko and I went to see Wall-E, Pixar's new animated movie. It was a really good show I thought. Wall-E was a great character. He is essentially a robotic garbage compactor that has developed a personality, and the first 40 min of the show is almost dialogue free, but the best 40 minutes of the movie.

The Moral:
The whole movie is based on the fact that humans, through over-consumption and lack of regard for the environment, have filled the earth with garbage to the point where it is uninhabitable. Humans are therefore banished to space where they live lazy unfulfilling lives.

The Response:
Yuriko and I hung around for the credits and when we got up, we looked at the floor. I wish I had an iPhone to take a picture of it, but the floor was just filthy...ridiculously dirty. They finished watching the movie, sipped their last sip, said "that was a great movie," and threw their cup on the floor. It was like I was still watching the film...

4 comments:

Dr. Kent said...

I have often marveled at the traditional "throw your trash on the movie theatre floor" rule which so many people live by. I have never really understood why it is relatively acceptable to throw garbage on the floor after watching any movie let alone one about pollution. Does it make for a more pleasant viewing experience for the next set of movie goers to have their feet glued to the floor? Certainly not. Does it mean that the 14 year old who cleans the movie theatre is going to go home earlier tonight? Highly unlikely. So why do we do it? I am no surprised by what you saw but you would think it would at least be less than your average movie. Ooohhhh humans.....whatever will we do with you?

Anonymous said...

Actually kent we spoke of your hometown movie theatre as we were leaving saying to ourselves, " this would never happen in a small town volunteer run theatre- like kent's." the sad thing was the theatre was packed with kids under age 9 and their parents. Not the best example those parents were leaving, nor did the message of the movie seem to resolute with them. Some how the combination of dimmed lights and anonymity makes ppl feel like they are excused from their actions.. crazy i say! But good movie!

Erik Larson said...

These are the longest comments on my blog yet. Horray!

Lorraine said...

I so agree with your comments! I can't understand people throwing their garbage on the floor.

We will have to see the movie. :)